The Rigoberto Cabezas air terminal is located on Nicaragua's Atlantic Coast in the North Atlantic Autonomous Region (RAAN), approximately an hour from Managua. It mainly serves the city of Puerto Cabezas, also known as Bilwi, located close to the far northeast corner of the country. Its coordinates are: N 14 02' 45", W 083 22' 00". It has an asphalt runway, 2,500 meters wide, for various aircrafts, such as Cessna Grand Caravan, Shorts 360, Let 410 and AN-26, which is the maximum weight. This terminal currently services daily regular flights by domestic airline La Costeña as well as for charter flights (air taxis) to Managua and other air terminals on the Atlantic Coast. The terminal is diurnal.
NEW AIR TERMINAL
The Airport Management Authority has drawn up conceptual plans for improving the paved areas, taxiways, ramps and an air terminal in Puerto Cabezas.
The new air terminal with a total area of 477 m² and a 2,400 m² parking lot for 30 vehicles.
The terminal facilities are modern and air-conditioned, including a pre-boarding lounge where passengers can comfortably wait for their flight, r-ray equipment for scanning packages, metal detectors, as well as four counters, cafeterias, police and army security facilities, ticket counters, cargo and courier services, warehouses, offices of different airlines and sales tickets.
Immigration and customs services are also provided, but must be coordinated by respectives authorities.
IMPORTANT TRAVEL TIPS
The following information will help travellers become familiar with some of the services that are available in Puerto Cabezas:
- The airport is abuot one kilometer from the center of the city. Priate and collective transport is available. Taxi rates are C$ 8.00 per person from the airport to the center of the city.
- You can go to the hotels, restaurants, discos and recreational sites by taxi for C$ 15.00 per person. After 9:00 PM, taxi rates are C$ 20.00 per person.
- Banks: Banpro
- The most important restaurants are: Cabu Payaska (Brisa del Mar), Malecón and Miramar, all of which have a panoramic ocean view. You can enjoy the view of the dock, as well as the boats, kayaks and fishing vessels tied up to the dock or anchored offshore. These recreational sites offer native food and live music.
- There are two discos: El Jumbo, with a Caribbean atmosphere, located in the center of the city.
- Cost of water transportation: Halower, US$ 250.00; Karata US$ 150.00; Wawa US$ 220.00. Tourist can travel to Tuapi dogouts.
- A local ecotourism agency, offers eco-tourism packages to the Miskito Cays, traveling in engine dogouts with capacity for 8 persons. Along the way, you can observe the biodiversity of Sandy Bay, appreciate the sand bars and mangroves, and camp out in the LIKAUKURA community or Sandy Bay.
- The Llano to Traquis-Tigni route offers overland transport.
- The more important hotels are: Cortijo # 1, located in the center of the city, Cortijo # 2, on the waterfront, El Pelícano, also located on the beach, Hotel Pérez, El Viajante, Sweet Dreams, El Caribe and Exclusivo Auto Restaurante and Monster Hotel.
|HOTEL CORTIJO #1||
|HOTEL CORTIJO #2||
|HOTEL EL VIAJANTE||
|HOTEL SWEET DREAMS||